05 July 2013

Clara Dress from Sew Liberated

A while ago I got it in my head that I would splurge and make this Clara Dress from Sew Liberated from none other than Liberty of London's Poppy Irma. So, I ordered the pattern, ordered the fabric (yikes!) and then life got busy again. BUT since this was serious fabric I eventually took the time to make a practice toile. I have to admit it took a lot of adjusting. Largely this is because I really like this kind of dress, but it doesn't really do much for me. But I took in the top a lot, added darts in the back, shrank the skirt some (though I could have done more...) and I think it turned out okay. I was so excited about having it done in time for an event that I spent like 4 hours one night hemming it, only to get on the plane without the slip I needed to wear under it (note to buyers of L of L light colors - the fabric is awesome, but it's also pretty see-through). So I still haven't worn it out anywhere, but I'm pleased.

I'm actually most pleased with the decision to go with fabric-covered buttons. I was almost too lazy, but I really like how they turned out.

I'm trying to think if I have other hints for this dress. All in all it was a straightforward pattern. I did lengthen the sleeves a bit, too. Oh, and I lengthened the skirt 3 inches. I'm 5'6" and I started off with one of the larger sizes and with an extra 3 inches it's still above my knees with a ~1" total rolled hem (half an inch, then half again). I think that's it!

No comments: